Monday, September 01, 2008

Everybody Makes Mistakes?

From the New York Times
At a reception for educators at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Sandra Ross, a special-needs high school teacher from Orlando, Fla, said, “She’s going to be a good role model for the country.” Of Bristol’s pregnancy, Ms. Ross added, “Everybody makes mistakes.”

I know this is a cheap shot, and I'm sure that's why the Times put the quote in there, but dammit...is this what we, as a nation, find acceptable in a potential Vice President? I don't care what your political party is...when your office is in 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, I don't want you to make any mistakes. Too much is always at stake!

I fully understand that this is an unobtainable goal, but nevertheless it is a goal worth striving for! If McCain becomes incapacitated or dies, and Palin becomes President (a distinct possibility), are you comfortable knowing that (she) "makes mistakes"?

Look, I don't mind elected officials being idiots just like the rest of us. Yes, they are human. But does it have to be so obvious? As far as I'm concerned, I want an elitist in the West Wing, not Joe Six Pack. Shouldn't the very best people hold the most important jobs in the country? Don't we, as voters, deserve the very best? Or at least people trying to be the very best? Or least people smart and clever enough to fool us all that they're trying to be the very best?

I know it's cynical but I'll settle for that last one - and be comforted that you've gotta be pretty smart and clever to accomplish that level of fooling.

2 comments:

Tom Wilson said...

Look at the personal lives of the last two presidents: Bush's daughters were far from angels, and Clinton (allegedly) got a teenage girl pregnant while he was married.

Let's put this in perspective: Sure, her kid is pregnant. But this is Alaska. 5 months ago, they were chin-deep in snow, and let's face it - what do teenagers do when there's nothing to do?

Which would you rather have: a VP who's up front about her kid's pregnancy, or one who covers it up, deceiving the American public?

I don't want politicians who don't make mistakes. There's no such thing as a perfect person. I want politicians who are honest about it when they do.

Aaron Read said...

I suppose I see your point, Tom. However, go ahead and read Jamie Lee Curtis' commentary over on Huffington Post. She expresses what I'm thinking much more elegantly than I did.